#MOMentos Social Media Toolkit
This Mother’s Day the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is honoring the invaluable role of moms and commemorating the myriad joys of motherhood. We’re also shining a spotlight on and rallying support for our global efforts to ensure the health of moms and babies worldwide!
Mother-to-child transmission of HIV is preventable! We have the knowledge and the medicines to create a completely HIV-free generation – but every day, 700 babies are born HIV positive because their mothers lack access to the health services they need to prevent transmission.
A play on the word “memento” (something that serves as a reminder of a person, place, or thing), #MOMentos is a celebration of the important role mothers play in the family, the community, and the world.
#MOMentos seeks to raise awareness about and rally support for EGPAF’s work preventing mother-to-child transmission (MTCT) of HIV which:
- Empowers moms with the knowledge and medicines they need to keep themselves healthy and to keep their babies HIV-free.
- Gives moms the treatment and support they need to maintain their health and strength, and to serve their important role for longer.
- Provides families the priceless gift of a healthier, happier lifetime to make countless memories together.
Here's how you can join our movement for many more healthy, happy Mother's Days:
CELEBRATE: Share Your Own Favorite #MOMentos
Your #MOMentos can be one word, a few sentences, a photo -- get creative! Submit your memory via www.pedaids.org/MOMentos, Twitter, and/or Instagram. Be sure to include the #MOMentos hashtag and tag @EGPAF.
DONATE: A lifetime of #MOMentos = PRICELESS
Just $19 can provide a pregnant woman the HIV test and counseling to protect her health and the health of her unborn baby.
EDUCATE: Spread the Word
Join the #MOMentos conversation on social media and bring a friend -- heck, bring ten! This social media toolkit has sample messages and gorgeous graphics to help you get the word out.
About EGPAF’s PMTCT Work
- More than 90% of HIV infections in children result from mother-to-child transmission, in which the virus is passed from a mother living with HIV to her baby during pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding.
- Today, just as when EGPAF was founded, children are the forgotten face of HIV/AIDS. Millions of infected children are not being treated; child-friendly drugs and testing kits are not readily available. Without treatment, nearly half of these children will die before they turn two.
- Mother-to-child transmission of HIV is preventable. Since EGPAF's founding 25 years ago, there has been a 95% decline in new HIV infections in the U.S., and a 51% decline in the number of new infections in children worldwide. But every day, 700 babies are infected with HIV because their families lack access to the health services they need to prevent transmission. Together, we will make that number zero.
- To date nearly 18 million women have been tested for HIV through EGPAF supported programs. With a global footprint reaching 7,300 sites in 14 countries, our programs reach more than 2.5 million pregnant women and families each year. One in six HIV-positive mothers worldwide receive lifesaving medications through clinics supported by EGPAF.
Sample #MOMentos Social Posts
Follow the #MOMentos campaign and spread the word with your friends and family! Here's some inspiration and suggested messaging:
- The gift of a healthier, happier lifetime to make endless #MOMentos with her family? #Priceless. http://bit.ly/M0Mentos @EGPAF
- RT if you agree: moms are pretty amazing! This #MothersDay, celebrate moms & motherhood w/ @EGPAF: http://bit.ly/M0Mentos #MOMentos
- What’s Ur favorite memory of your mom? Share Ur #MOMentos & join the fight for an #AIDSFreeFuture! http://bit.ly/M0Mentos @EGPAF
- Tell @EGPAF your fave #MothersDay memory & give an HIV+ mom a chance 2 make many magic memories http://bit.ly/M0Mentos #MOMentos
- Empower a mom with the knowledge to keep herself healthy & her babies #HIV-free. http://bit.ly/M0Mentos #MOMentos
- Help @EGPAF give moms the treatment & support to maintain their health, strength & 2 make a lifetime of #MOMentos. http://bit.ly/M0Mentos
- Help celebrate the power of a mother’s love this #MothersDay! Share your #MOMentos with @EGPAF: http://bit.ly/M0Mentos
- Give a mom the greatest gift: the chance to make an HIV-free lifetime of #MOMentos w/ her kids http://bit.ly/M0Mentos @EGPAF
- Strong. Loving. Wise. Tender. Tell us about a mom YOU admire & love: http://bit.ly/M0Mentos #MOMentos @EGPAF
- 25 super-supporters of an #AIDSFreeGen will win a Ltd. Ed. #MOMentos poster (+epic good karma) from @EGPAF. Are you one? http://bit.ly/M0Mentos